Service Connection Benefits




This is merely a very GENERAL synopsis of the benefits. It is the extreme basic process and is NOT designed for any specific need.





To be awarded Service-Connection (SC) benefits a veteran MUST file a claim with the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). A claim is basically giving VA notice that a service member incurred an injury, illness or disease while serving on Active-Duty. The burden of proof is placed upon the VETERAN! The VA has an obligation of “Duty to Assist”, which means that VA is responsible for helping the veteran obtain records from Federal Agencies that support the Veterans’ claim.


This process is complex; it is highly recommended that veterans do NOT attempt to file these claims on their own. Veterans are encouraged to obtain an Accredited Service Office to assist. (Your County Veteran Affairs Director, is Accredited)