Butler County: Planning to Marry
County of Butler, Pennsylvania
/butler Website

Elected Offices
Court Services
Social Services
Other Links
Show Images
{Login} {Register}



Planning to Marry

 Register of Wills:  Orphans' Court:  Forms & Help:
 » Estates

Butler County Marriage Information Line :   724.284.5379

A SIGNER for hearing impaired is available upon request.

Arrangements must be made in advance by calling our office at 724.284.5354


Interpreters for non-English speaking clients may be obtained at applicants' expense by contacting Interpretalk.com



Marriage Application CHECKLIST 


___ VALID identification    (Any 1 of these)


·        Photo driver’s license

·        State PennDot photo ID card

·        Certified birth certificate

·        Active military ID


___ Social Security CARDS  



___ $60 CASH for license fee



___ Certified Divorce Decrees (if applicable)



___ Certified Name Change  (if applicable)



___ Original Death Certificate (if applicable)



___ Custodial Parent(s)

       (with ID and proof of custody, if applicable)


When to Apply
Marriage licenses are valid for 60 days from date of issuance and may be used anywhere in PA.
Application must be made sometime within 60 days of wedding date.
Do not apply unless you are within 60 days of your wedding date.
PA law requires a minimum 3-day waiting period after application is made before license can be issued.
Anyone wishing to marry in Pennsylvania MUST OBTAIN A PA MARRIAGE LICENSE.
BOTH applicants MUST APPEAR TOGETHER IN PERSON to complete the marriage license application.
Applicants must have VALID ID: (e.g., current Driver's License, military or Penn DOT photo ID)
Birth Certificates are required only when applicants have no other ID
All IDs must be in English or be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Applicants must have Social Security CARDS (federal & state mandates for US citizens).
If you have lost your card, you must obtain WRITTEN VERIFICATION OF YOUR SS NUMBER from the Social Security Office.
Where to Apply
Applicants may apply in any county within Pennsylvania.
Application does not need to be made in county of residence or where ceremony is to be performed.
Certifications can only be issued from county of application.
Contact the county where you plan to apply.  (Office Hours & fees differ from county to county)
The Butler County Marriage License Bureau is located in the Register of Wills & Clerk of Orphans' Court Office, Level L, Government Center, 124 West Diamond Street, Butler, PA.
Applicants may apply ONLY between 8:30 AM and 4 PM, Monday through Friday, except holidays.
No Applications will be accepted after 4 PM 
Please plan for waiting & processing time.
All applicants must be 18 years of age to obtain a marriage license without custodial parent's or legal guardian's consent.
Applicants between 16-18 years of age MUST HAVE A CUSTODIAL PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN present to consent to the marriage application.
Applicants under 16 years of age must have BOTH written Court approval AND meet the custodial parent requirements.
Consenting parent must have proper identification and proof of physical custody of the minor.
Pennsylvania does not require premarital blood testing or physical examinations.
Fees:  CURRENT FEE IS $60 (effective JAN 01, 2010)
Please call 724.284.5379 for Butler County or view the Orphans' Court fee schedule for fee listings.
Parental Consents are extra. ($20.00 each)
Butler County does not accept checks.
Marriage License fees must be paid in bills no larger than $20.
Who May Not Marry
Persons related by blood as first cousins or closer may not marry in PA. Other prohibitions and policies are posted in the Register of Wills & Clerk of Orphans' Court Office.
Applicants who have previously married MUST HAVE:
  1. ORIGINAL death certificate (if widowed)
  2. ORIGINAL Divorce Decree dated more than 30 days prior to application date.

    *If female applicant is divorced and has changed her name, she must have certified documentation of same.

    If applicant does not have the original Divorce Decree, s/he
    must obtain a CERTIFIED copy of the Decree (with a court seal) from the Court that issued the original. Photocopies are NOT acceptable.

    Foreign divorce Decrees must ALSO have a CERTIFIED ENGLISH translation attached.

  3. Civil annulments require same documentation as divorces. (Church annulments are NOT accepted)
Out-of-State Marriages
Anyone wishing to marry outside Pennsylvania must contact that state, territory, country, etc., directly. Legal requirements of that jurisdiction apply.
Specific premarital testing information for other states is posted in the Register of Wills & Clerk of Orphans' Court Office.
All questions should be directed to Butler County Marriage License Bureau located within the Register of Wills & Clerk of Orphans' Court Office.

Content Last Modified on 1/5/2010 3:44:31 PM

Home     Site Map     Send Feedback     Show Images     PA State Website
Do you want to know when we update content in our site?
Subscribe to e-Alerts or Update your e-Alerts Profile
Copyright © 2006 Butler County, Pennsylvania. All Rights Reserved.