Eligibility For Non-Service-Connected Improved Death Pension


Also known as Widows Pension, Survivors Pension, Improved Death Pension.


What is Death Pension?

Death Pension is a needs based benefit paid to an unremarried surviving spouse, or an unmarried child of a deceased wartime veteran.

How do I know if I'm eligible?

You may be eligible if:


  • the deceased veteran was discharged from service under conditions other than dishonorable, AND
  • the deceased veteran served at least 90 days of active military service, 1 day of which was during a war time period. If he or she entered active duty after September 7, 1980, generally he or she must have served at least 24 months or the full period for which called or ordered to active duty. (There are exceptions to this rule.) AND
  • you are the surviving spouse or unmarried child of the deceased veteran, AND
  • your countable income is below a yearly limit set by law (The yearly limit on income is set by Congress).


As you can see, there are a number of criteria’s that may affect your eligibility to pension benefits. Therefore, one must not attempt to file on their own. If you are uncertain, you can call our office for information 724-284-5353. Please understand that only the VA and VA alone can make determinations on benefits. Accredited Service Officers should not be telling ANY ONE PERSON whether they will be granted benefits and moreso how much they will be entitled.